Working in Shanghai can be dangerous

A leak of liquid ammonia was fifteen months in the dead Saturday, August 31 in China. The accident occurred in a refrigeration plant in Shanghai. According to the New China News Agency, at least 26 other people were poisoned which 6 are in serious condition. This kind of leak is unfortunately not uncommon in the country.

Working in Shanghai can be dangerous

The accident occurred at 11 am (local time) this morning in the Baoshan District in the north of the economic capital of China. Refrigerated warehouses Shanghai Weng Pai Cold Storage Industrial Group Co transform 150 tons of seafood per day. Products which, once frozen, stored or exported to the distribution networks.

Photos on social networks show the involvement of at least five fire trucks on the scene of the accident. The company is located in an area with a high population density and liquid ammonia used in refrigeration circuits is destructive to the lungs. This is not the first time that this kind of accident happens in the agri-food sector.

In June, a leak of liquid ammonia in a chicken slaughterhouse in Jilin in the north of the country, killing at least 120 dead. In October last year, 30 employees of a fish farm were hospitalized in Wuhan in the east, again because of liquid ammonia.

Shanghai, which is generally considered safer due to more stringent industry standards is not spared. August 20th, five workers at a food factory died after inhaling toxic fumes while cleaning a tank used for the manufacture of pickled vegetables

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s